Feed on
Posts
Comments

The area known as Boggs Holdings lies immediately north east of Pencaitland, on the way to the A1 via the B6363. It comprises of approximately 60 households today but has a distinct identity from that of nearby Pencaitland. Though lacking a civic centre, the hub of the village is commonly seen as the community hall.

History of the Boggs

Boggs Farm - top right - from 1856. This work uses historical material copyright Great Britain Historical GIS Project and the University of Portsmouth

Boggs Farm – top right – from 1856. This work is based on data provided through VisionofBritain.org.uk and uses historical material which is copyright of the Great Britain Historical GIS Project and the University of Portsmouth

The Boggs Holdings were set up during the early 193Os to help reduce the high unemployment which caused the great strikes in the mid 192Os. Forty-two small holdings were formed when the Boggs Farm was split up. The farm belonged to Winton Estate and is situated to the North East of the main village. After WW2 much of the land was given over to the production of seasonal fruit such as strawberries.

The fields in the Boggs probably range from 6-1O acres each and in the old days forty-two families made their living from hens, pigs, soft fruit and vegetables. Several had a cow to produce their own milk and butter.

Today much of the land has been turned to other uses.

Boggs Community Hall

The Community Hall is available to let. Contact details for the Community Hall can be found on this page Venues for Hire in the Area. Just click on the map place holder located in Boggs Holdings to see the details.

Social Media

Anyone interested can see the Facebook Group set up by members of the community for Boggs Holdings. Just follow this link